Wednesday, January 21, 2009

New Supervisor Committee Assignments

Board of Supervisors Committee assignments were released today and I’d like to congratulate Supervisor David Campos on his new chairmanship of the Public Safety Committee. I look forward to working with him. I'd also like to thank Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi, who previously served as Chair, for his leadership, and to congratulate him on his new chairmanship of the Government Audit and Oversight Committee. Supervisor Mirkarimi will as well be remaining on the Public Safety Committee as Vice-Chair and I look forward to continuing to work with him.

Also departing the Public Safety Committee are Supervisors Bevan Dufty (now Chair of City Operation and Neighborhood Services) and Sophie Maxwell (now Chair of Land Use and Economic Development). We've had both informative conversations and spirited debates – with the occasional painful inquisition mixed in there! I wish them well in their new assignments and welcome aboard Supervisor Michela Alioto-Pier.

Over the last year, I’ve worked with the Supervisors to ensure that the Committee – and hence, also the public – received the most up-to-date and comprehensive crime statistics possible. At the core of this effort, has been the hard work of the officers of the SFPD. In particular, I’d like to thank Captain John Goldberg (formerly Captain of the Homicide Division of the Investigations Bureau and now a Captain at Tactical), as well as the SFPD’s Crime Analysis Unit and Planning Division.

This has been a true team effort and I’m very proud of it. The Committee is in as strong and informed a position as ever. I look forward to building on these successes and encourage all to either attend its hearings (schedule available here) or watch its proceedings on SFGTV.